Friday, May 2, 2008

Day 243: Cookies on a rainy day

I made some cookies today for a girls' night taste test night-- we're bringing some food item with both generic and name-brand ingredients to see if there really is a difference. So I made chocolate chip cookies with both Cub brand chips and Hershey's. Zaria was pretty ill today and only joined me for a little while in between naps. Hopefully all her sleeping today will mean she'll be much better tomorrow.

Below is Jamin with his new hat and my umbrella (since it's the only one we could find right away). It's a pretty silly hat as it is. I believe his word is "jaunty". It was even more ridiculous pairing it with this umbrella, so I had to capture the moment.

2 comments:

Anissa said...

Actually in many cases the generic brand is made by the name brand (I know that Heinz is one of the companies that does that), so there won't be any difference other than the label and the price;)

SaraCate and Jamin said...

We did, in fact, taste a difference on some items, but not so much on others. For the chocolate chips, I couldn't tell in the cookies but the difference was obvious if you ate them alone. We found, for example, that the Gedney pickles tasted the same but were definitely crisper texture, the Swansons chicken broth had a richer flavor in the chicken wild rice soup, and the shredded parmesan had a nicer consistency and flavor than the canned stuff.