Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day 76: Class reunion

Today I went to my 10-year high school reunion with my old friends Cassie, Derek and Dave. We worked the crowd as a group, not really knowing the people that showed up all that well. It was a little expensive for both Jamin and I to go, so Jamin watched Zaria, and it was strange to be there without him. We found out about who had kids or was married, and what people had been doing. Michelle had triplets, Cheryl was a clinical psychologist in California, Matt was a carpenter and newlywed by one month, Katie was engaged. We were sad that many of the people we'd hoped to see and had lost track of were missing.

I talked to one woman who had been a friend in junior high and had discarded our friendship long ago. I was happy to hear she was successful and glad that she didn't pretend not to know me. So there were some good changes among the crowd. There were also a number of people happy to get drunk early on, but they were people we barely knew. Cassie, Dave, Derek and I were all on the Chemical Health Awareness Team in high school, our version of SADD, so we never really went to the drinking parties in high school. I enjoyed dancing a bit to the DJ's selection of 90's music, even once all by myself in happy Napoleon Dynamite fashion. It was an interesting night.

No comments: